I am aware we are now nearly halfway into January, which is absolutely crazy! I feel like this year is also going to absolutely fly by! I have recently caught COVID myself, something I have been so scared about due to being vulnerable to the illness. I tested positive on 3rd January 2022, I have been testing thoroughly over Christmas, every couple of days which all came back as negative. Then low and behold the dreaded second line came up on my LTF. Panic and fear is all that I can say! I am triple vaccinated and have been for some time now, so it did come as a surprise to me it has to be said!
It did really upset my blood sugars, it felt like no amount of insulin could satisfy my bodies requirements. I felt extremely tired, headachy, and my temperature was raised – I did not feel good. But due to testing negative for 2 days in a row on 8th January and 9th January 2022, I was allowed back outside on 9th! I only went for a walk and made sure I kept a good distance from others just in case. But wow I was absolutely knackered when I arrived back at home!
It wasn’t quite the start I wanted into the New Year, but it definitely could have been worse!
I personally do not like to set a New Year Resolution as I have always set myself up to fail. I find for me it does far more damage than anything good coming out of it. For myself, not achieving a task that I have set out does far more damage.
Instead of having resolutions such as eat healthier, attend the gym 4 times a week etc I set myself a yearly goal that I can reflect on over time. I like to have a mixture of goals throughout help increase my overall happiness and wellbeing.
My 2022 goals are:
- Put myself first, say no or stand up for what I believe in. I do not do this enough so end up placing large strains upon myself which never end well!
- At the end of every week I am going to write down the positive things that have occurred. These can be small things such as not buying a coffee when I am out or larger things such as achieving over 60% in range for my blood sugars everyday. I will be writing my positives down in a book so I can reflect on all the good things that have occurred throughout the year. I hope this will help end each week on a positive note!
- Increase engagement for this blog! I am thoroughly chuffed that I have started this page as it has helped me beyond recognition just through reflections and sharing information/advice with others! I am researching diabetic topics which are more engaging and trying to share helpful information such as my Information Pack for Newly Diagnosed.
- To live in the moment more! Not always be on my phone and take a step back at times, take a deep breath and just enjoy myself!
- PRE-BOLUS! Okay I absolutely suck at this. 30 minutes before eating, sometimes I just start snacking and I don’t even realise or decide I am hungry and have lunch. My overall goal is to improve on this, so think about meals in advance and try to create a schedule, especially with lunchtime. My blood sugars always increase post-meal because I haven’t given the insulin enough time to work. But as I am aware of the mistake I am making; I am hoping this (combined with alarms on my phone) will help with remembering to pre-bolus!
- I want to start using the blood sugar correction tool I have on my pump. I have always had a problem with these, ever since I went on a pump at 10 years old. I have always thought I know better and end up over-correcting and having a hypo. The technology on the pump is so good that I need to remember that! Hopefully doing this will increase my overall time in range.
We are off on holiday at the end of the month and over my 18th diaversary! So that should be a really good day on 28th January! I always have such mixed emotions on my diaversary because that is the day I always seem to mourn the life I could have had. But over recent years, yes I allow myself to mourn but also I try and celebrate what has come from being a diabetic, please check out my positives post! This year will just be happiness that I get to be skiing again!
I am going to be making a nice cake as well but will have to make that before we go! It’s difficult to bring a cake on a plane!
What are your 2022 goals and what have you got to look forwards to over the next year?
If you’d like to subscribe to my mailing list for new blog posts, please enter your email below:
One thought on “Goals for 2022!”